WESTBOROUGH, Mass. — PENTA Communications in Westborough is now accepting applications for its eighth annual female leadership scholarship.
The award, given to the student who "exemplifies leadership in academia, extra curricular activities, and community service during her high school years," is open to all female Westborough High School seniors.
“We are continually impressed by the quality of applicants each year,” said Deborah Penta, CEO of PENTA Communications in a news release. “Many of the young women who apply are high achievers who also care deeply about, and volunteer in their communities.”
The scholarship is for $1,000 and WHS seniors interested in applying must do so before April 1.
The application must include three letters of recommendation from WHS faculty, leaders of a team or at a place of employment. Additional items required are a current resume that indicates academic standing, and all activities and leadership achievements, a listing of any charitable work, and a 200-word essay explaining why the applicant feels she should receive the scholarship, according to a news release.
Applications can be mailed to applicants should mail their submissions to: The Deborah A. Penta Female Leadership Scholarship Committee, PENTA Communications, Inc., 182 Turnpike Road, Westborough, MA, 01581.
- 2012: Sneha Subramaniam, now a biomedical engineering major at Columbia University
- 2011: Katherine “Kasey” Packer, now an international relations major at Georgetown University
- 2010: Madeline “Maddie” Fryer, now a public health major at Johns Hopkins University
- 2009: Lindsay Poole, now a broadcast journalism major at UMass-Amherst
- 2008: Kathryn Emily Wilchynski, a graduate of Northeastern University and now a math teacher
- 2007: Nicole Pasternak Flynn, who studied law and politics at Villanova University
- 2006: Emily Walsh, graduated Summa Cum Laude from Stonehill College with a major in Biology and minor in chemistry. Currently working on a degree in genetic counseling from the University of North Carolina