WESTBOROUGH, Mass. — A potential run-in with Hurricane Sandy has Westborough on alert, and Police Chief Alan Gordon said it's important to be prepared.
"We will be using social media, both Facebook and Twitter, which will be updated as more information comes in," Gordon said, noting that he met with personnel from the fire department and DPW to discuss emergency plans.
The only real change, Gordon said, is the new AM radio transmitter, 1610 AM, will also be updated on a regular basis.
"Everyone has access to AM radio one way or another," Gordon said, noting that if the power goes out, a car radio is always an option to get updates.
If necessary, the Westborough High School gymnasium will be opened as an emergency shelter.
Similar to last year, the decision on whether to cancel Halloween activities will be made once conditions are assessed, Gordon said.
"If we start having a lot of down wires — that's what really impacted us last year — we don't want children coming anywhere near that," Gordon said.
"That's something we'll look at Tuesday and make a decision probably by Tuesday night or maybe Wednesday morning."
Hurricane Preparedness Tips from Westborough PD:
- Remove outdoor furniture (high winds expected)
- Stock up on non-perishable food and bottled water
- Make sure to have flashlights and extra batteries
- Have a radio available (1610 AM)
- Avoid downed wires (even if power is out)
- Remain inside during storm
- Go to the ATM and take out enough cash to last through storm and cleanup
- Gas up cars and generators
- Check Facebook, Twitter and 1610 AM frequently for updates
Check back with the Westborough Daily Voice throughout the storm for updates.